Friday, June 19, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance : Two More Voted Off

I was really worried for Phillip and Janeane last night, who I predicted to be in the bottom three alongside Caitlin and Jason and Kupono and Ashley. But I was wrong: I guess Phillip's following is huge after all, keeping him and his partner safe, even after an atrocious tango on his part. Instead, Kayla, who I've really grown to like and her partner Max, who I really haven't, took their place in the bottom three.

Caitlin seemed to wow the judges with her fluid, albeit boring, solo, but I thought both Ashley and Kayla had more presence. I don't fully "get" the love for Caitlin, because so far she has no personality to accompany her dancing (and I would have much preferred to see her sister on the stage) but her dancing outshone Ashley's "substance"-less performance. Kayla was my favorite girl of the night, even though Nigel thought her solo was too crowded, and she too stayed, sending Ashley home. I knew she was most likely going but I thought she did exceptionally well in both last week's Wade Robson routine and this week's hip-hop--far better than both Caitlin and her own partner Kupono--but someone has to go. After learning that she had auditioned for the show four times, I knew she wouldn't last too long.

As for the boys, I thought that Jason was great and the judges agreed, leaving Kupono and Max in the bottom two. I don't have much love for either of them -- I knew Max wouldn't stick around long for two reasons: both his lack of personality and his specialty as a ballroom dancer. Kupono--while I find him sweet and amusing, he's another dancer whose style I don't fully understand. He is interesting but not masculine, fluid but not strong. Unfortunately I think that both he and Phillip (eventually) will succumb to their lack of strength and training.

How do you feel about last night's results? Were you pleased or upset with who got sent home? And what was your take on Cat's suit? I, for one, thought it was lame.

No comments: