Thursday, July 16, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 10

We're down to the top ten dancers, and they are picking new partners, dancing individually, and the judges are losing control. I don't remember voting for dancers individually until the final four last year, but it's been an entire year since the show was on. I'm really looking forward to a fall season; I think a show like this deserves as much hype as, if not more than, American Idol and Dancing with the Stars.

First, a group dance performed by all f ive girls is announced. This is new. The ladies dance a Bollywood number and I think it's astounding. The costumes are beautiful and the ladies are graceful. The judges claim they can't pick out anyone that stood out, but to me Kayla and Janette both did. Kayla is just plain pretty and Janette really took the hip shaking to another level.

Kayla and Evan
The first new couple is Kayla and Evan, and they are given a Viennese Waltz. I don't know how they will pull this of given the height difference, and they end up giving Evan heels and Kayla some flats to wear during their performance. Kayla was lovely and seemed to float across the stage. Evan, as usuaul, was kind of stiff and didn't really get it. Evan is cute and quirky and adorable, but I find him to be one of the weakest dancers, both technically and performance-wise. And unlike Phillip, who I'm actually missing this week, I have not seen much growth in him. However, Evan's personality has gained him a huge following so he might be staying over more qualified dancers.

Ade and Janette
I've been waiting all season to see Ade perform hip hop, and he pulled it off rather well. For the first time I really got to see him have some fun. However, except for a couple of their routines (both Phillip and Jeanine dances too) I've been a little bit disappointed in my NapTab. Where's the heart-wrenching lyrical hip-hop we've come to love? Where's the Mark-Chelsie/Katie-Joshua pieces of last season? All in all though, Ade and Janette did a good job, and I thought Janette's solo was one of the first ballroom solos that didn't suck.

Jason and Jeanine
Before I get to the performance, just let me Mary Scream for a moment.

TRAVIS WALL!!!!

OK, I'm done. LOVE that Travis is choreograping, LOVE the dark hair. And I absolutely LOVE the piece. It finally, finally showcased Jason and Jeanine's abilities. This is the first time I've actually been slightly impressed by Jason or seen any emotion in him. I think Caitlin may have been stunting this poor kid. I'm not going to go into all of their solos, but this week I really liked Jason's - it was quirky and fun to watch. Last week I was ready to write him off, but now I'm not so sure. As for Jeanine--wow! I did not know she could do any of that! I've never seen her stretch like that, never seen her lines. As sad as a lot of people were to see Phillip go last week, you can't deny that it's nice for her to dance with someone that can more closely match her technical ability. I'm impressed, and this is my favorite dance of the night.

Randi and Kupono
I had a feeling this pairing would be a disaster. Neither of them are extremely strong dancers, and that combined with the Paso Doble (this year's kiss of death) I knew it would be a train wreck. CRASH! It was pretty painful to watch. Kupono is not "butch" enough to carry off the matador part, and Randi is not all that feminine or graceful. The wig did not help - it just made her look more fake. She was the weakest girl of the night for me and I think she should go home. For me, Kupono and Evan are equally weak but I see Kupono going home first.

Brandon and Melissa
Is it just me, or were Brandon and Melissa kind of a boring couple with a boring routine? To me, the routine was just okay. It was entertaining but I'm finding myself kind of undherwhelmed whenever Tyce choreographs, aside from the Jeanette-Phillip couch routine. (Wow, those two really got a lot of the good routines this year, didn't they?) Melissa is a beautiful dancer but her personality might put her at risk for elimination.

The night ended with an African routine by the five guys. They had a difficult time with it because it was all rhythm and no counts, but they pulled it off. I am impressed just with the amount of stamina needed to get through the routine, much less do it well. However, I did think it was a bit rude for Nigel to use this opportunity to once again diss the Russian folk dance.

My picks for elimination: Randi and Kupono

What did you think of tonight's partnerships? Did you like the top 5 girl and guy routines?

No comments: