Thursday, March 26, 2009

AI Top Ten: Motown

Three words for this week's show: Adam.Is.Back!

Now that I've got that out of my system, let's talk about who totally rocked it last night.

Matt- He sang "Let's Get it On." I was yelling at the TV as soon as I saw Matt behind the piano, "Nooo Matt! You can't sit this one out! It's 'Let's Get it On', it's groovy, it's not a piano song!" And by some miracle, he heard me. Sigh. Thank you Matt!

Kris - he needs to stop hiding behind his guitar, which I thought added absolutely nothing to the song. He did a great job vocally with "How Sweet it Is" but needs more personality. Overall, a job well done.

Adam - Squee! He was looking slick and singing sweetly, and it was just an amazing performance. Absolutely loved the little acoustic trio of musicians. It totally worked, and the song was fantastic.

Allison - She is NOT bottom 3, America. Can't you HEAR this girl's pipes? Come on now. She is the almighty Allison, and I hope she's here to stay.

By the way, Allison, Adam, and Matt are (and have been) my choices for the final 3.

On to the so-so performances:

Danny - has great energy, and I really liked his little dance with the back up singers. But I don't see him as a lasting recording artist. He's a ham on stage - much better suited for Broadway or the church choir.

Lil - As the judges said, we all know she can sing. But can she bring it as an artist? Not in that silly wig and over-the-top performance. Lil needs to tone it down and just do what she does best, but I don't know if she'll make it to the finals.

Megan - I'll give Megan a little more credit than the judges, but she really needs a song-picking expert to help her translate her unique voice into a good performance. The thing about Megan is that she has the most interesting sound of all the contestants, and it is really a shame that she's wasting it on songs that don't suit her style, and that's the barrier that's keeping her from being in the lead.

Anoop - OK, so my beef with Anoop is that I keep forgetting about him! But I think he did a decent job with the song, I like the softer side of him. Go Kumar! I mean Anoop!

Who I'm still over and needs to go home like yesterday:

Scott- What is there left to say? When it comes down to it, he's a much better piano player than a singer, which can only work for so long. He's old fashioned, unoriginal, awkward, and has a tendency to bore me to tears.

Michael - I think he did a smidge better with Motown than country, but he is still incredibly weak and needs to stick to Karaoke competitions. Please go home this week.

My bottom 3: Scott, Michael, and Lil.

No comments: