Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol: Grand Ole Opry

There wasn't much that was grand about tonight's Grand Ole Opry theme. But a couple things first:

1. I love Randy Travis and the country theme really brought back memories of listening to country music at home with my parents. I miss those days.

2. Can someone please explain to me why everyone's idea of country music on this show is either Garth Brooks, Martina McBride, or Carrie Underwood? Poor Randy Travis, though he's probably thankful that nobody picked one of his songs.

OK, I'm done. Onto the performances.

Who I liked:
Matt - He makes me all tingly when he performs. Simon even said he outsang Danny. All aboard the Matt train!

Allison - She sang a Patty Loveless song from...nope, not the 80s.. 1992! But she has an awesome voice and I really liked her take on the song. Also loved her look tonight. Where can I get a red leather jacket like that?

Kris - one of my favorites of the night. I can't remember ever hearing the song and I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it didn't sound like typical country.

Anoop - surprised me by actually singing, and singing well. Maybe he does deserve to be here.

Who was in the middle:
Alexis - I love, love, love Jolene, but her performance was just kind of "eh". She has a good voice but I just don't connect with her personality.

Danny - Just so-so. He sang well, but I found him kind of bland tonight. Between the white jacket and the song choice, he looked more like he was singing in a church than on the AI stage.

Megan - Her voice is really old timey and jazzy, which I think is difficult to put to current music and make it connect with the audience. But no matter how you feel about Megan's vocals, her dancing is never relevant.

Who I didn't like:
Adam - You know I'm an Adam fan, but I truly hated his rendition of "Ring of Fire" and fast-forwarded through the latter half. He completely dissed Johnny Cash, who isn't even that country, and it was like he wasn't even trying, and Ring of Fire was the only country song he's ever heard of. And if he was going to do a different version, he should have taken on Social Distortion's.

Lil - She could have taken any bluesy country song and run with it, but she chose the most trite, overdone country song of them all, not to mention it didn't lend itself to her voice. Her performance was plain and unoriginal.

I'm kind of over it:
Scott- Every song is the same-- boring. Next.
Michael - Yes, you're country, even when it's not country week.

My bottom 3: Scott, Michael, and Megan

My vote to leave: Scott

No comments: